Export licences

Export of rice has an export licence obligation when exporting goods outside the EU. Export requires presentations of an export certificate to customs authorities. 


Export licences are applied for from the Market Department of the Finnish Agency for Rural Affairs. Exporters must submit an export declaration at the Customs before exportation. More information is available at the Finnish Customs website.

Import and export licences to be required from fewer agricultural products, autumn 2017​

Lodging of export declarations for agricultural products requiring an export licence from 1 May 2016

There are no established export subsidies for agricultural products in the EU. 
 WTO's decision to end agricultural export subsidies (23.3.2016)

When you apply for an import or export license for the first time:

1. Determine what you are importing / exporting by identifying the CN code of the goods. Find out whether you need a standard licence or whether there is a tariff rate quota you can apply for. Consult the customs authorities if necessary to determine the right CN code. Taric consultation, Customs website.

2. Get the EORI number from customs. EORI on Customs website.

3. Register as a customer to the Market Department. 561000e - Application of registration.

4. Register as an electronic service user, ie the electronic import and export service. 5610271 Registration to electronic export and import licence service.

5. Pay the required security. Payment instructions can be found here: Security instructions. The amount of the deposit can be found from the Application Guide.​ For quotas you have to check the amount from the regulations or consult us.

6. Apply for a licence in the electronic import and export service. Remember to put in quota number if you are applying for a tariff rate quota.

7. Remember to use and return the licence to us after use. 


The standard licences that are applied by 14:00 o’clock are issued during the same day. Quotas may be subject to special rules regarding the dates of applications and issuing dates.

 No import or export licence applications will be dealt with on national midweek holidays.

The public holidays of the European Commission may affect the dates for issuing export licences.

The public holidays of the European Commission in year 2017 has been published:

Commission Implementing Regulation (EU) 2016/2054


Authority responsible for issuing export and import licences and extracts of licences
Agency for Rural Affairs / Market Department
PO Box 405, FI60101 SEINÄJOKI
Tel. +358 295 312 000 (switchboard)
Fax +358 295 312 203
Email tuovi(at)mavi.fi 


Authority responsible for attributions and endorsements on electronic export and import licences
Customs, The Electronic Service Center (SPAKE)
Tel. +358 295 5207
Email spake.feoga(at)tulli.fi or spake.tuonti(at)tulli.fi​​​​​